One of the jobs that needed doing on ROJ was to repair the cracked front valance, while doing that I noticed that one corner had been broken, which required moulding the fibre-glass into shape.
My first attempt went horribly wrong as i managed to use the wrong resin hardener. Cleaning off the sticky hairy mess was not pleasant!
I used the unbroken corner as a template and made a cardboard mould onwhich to build up the fibreglass.
I thought that was hard work – but then i decided to rub down the scabby surface of the valance, and each time it wasn’t quite good enough, so i did it again, and again, and again – until I was able to convince myself that the car was never going to be entered into a concourse competition , and I was the only one going to get down on my hands and knees with a magnifying glass!
Next job then was to wipe down with pre-paint and paint with primer. – and it looked great.
Ordinarily i would have painted it with bog standard Hafords satin black – but i was tempted by a snazzy looking aerosol top on some Rustoleum.
The paint was superb – the nozzle wasn’t, and i wrote to Rustoleum to suggest a modification to their cap – and they very knidly sent me two free cans! (thanks Rustoleum!)
Before fitting the valance I had to swap the horns round which i’d put on back to front – that was mega-fiddly! And I’ve just fitted the aircon radiator and oil coolers, so valance on next weekend.
We also had to take P19 for it’s MoT, service and new centre box to our friendly local mechanic Michael – who always has a yard full of interesting stuff to admire.
Now that ROJ is home I’m missing my trips up to the farm and missing Malcolm, Clive, Phil and Steve and their variety of projects.
But I’ve recently found a new interesting friend.
Before Christmas we have Virgin cable TV installed – with a whizzo Tivo box – so I’ve been able to record nearly every episode of Wheeler Dealers – so now before i head out to the garage, 20 minutes of Edd China is my inspiration!!
And thanks Edd for the tip on waterless coolant.