With the body and running gear back on ROJ, it’s time to get the engine sorted.
I took a flying visit up to the farm this week to make a start putting the old engine back together. This is the original engine that Gary stripped down and assessed for me a little while ago.
There were some major problems – mosly resulting from where some fool had messed about with it in the past. The spare engine from the parts car looks to be in better shape and so we’ll be using that to start with.
Until such time as we can take the original apart and rebuild it properly, I aim to just loosely assemble it – learning as I go.
I really enjoyed my day and a half of rebuilding – the engine is actually a lot less complicated than I had imagined.
I only cleaned one piston as it took ages and I didn’t want to waste precious time. I’ll clean them all next time I strip the engine.
I’ve made another little video of the process and added it to YouTube.
The Centennial event at Kensington Gardens was fantastic – even if the centennial picnic hamper was a big disappointment!
Stephanie’s poor little Escort has certainly proved its worth over the years – and has taken a few knocks along the way.
Last year someone rolled an MX2 into the front wing, and then a few weeks ago a neanderthal in a van caved in her drivers door.
I’ve been meaning to fix the wing for ages. I bought an original Ford part and painted it up, but needed to get the Escort up to the farm to do the welding – and a couple of weeks ago I got the chance to do it.
I started by drilling out the welds with a spotweld cutter and a thin cutting disc on the angle grinder.
I had to cut the new wing to size as the cabriolet has a reinforced sill.
new wing welded on
Stephanie and Alicia toasting the new wing
Once the job was done, we drove up to Hebden Bridge to see Stephanie’s sister for a few days, and then on to Glasgow to see Angus. In all Stephanie clocked up over 1,000 miles!.
Next visit to the farm will definitely be to work on ROJ.