This month I’ve actually achieved quite a bit – although it may not look that impressive in the photos.
The fuel tank is finally inÂ with new fuel lines, breather pipes etc. I won’t be able to test the renovated fuel sender or the fuel pump untilÂ the electrics are installed.
The biggest battle was with the newÂ water repellent self adhesive sound proofing from Woolies.Â This was to replace the old jute felt that seemed designed to soak up water, and then hold it against the metal until rust chomped its way through.
I cut the material into manageable sized chuncks and then tried to peel the backing off. Hopeless. The glue came off with it. SoÂ I tried peeling it off in little bits – this was even more problematic. I must admit to muttering the odd profanity.
The glue got all over my fingers, I dropped a piece on my new roll of fuel pipe and it stuck fast, I was not happy.
After an entire morning work I finally had enough inside the cavity to fit the tank in – and of course it didn’t fit. The rubber was a lot thicker than the jute – with the tank full it will flatten down, but an empty tank just sat atop it.Â This then meant that the cable restraints would not fit round the tank. So out it came again.
Fortunately I have a box full of odd spare parts – including a pair ofÂ brackets which attach the cables to the chassis. I took these and flattened them in a vice, refolding them to give me an extra inch of cable length.
The original is in the centre. When I fill the tank for the first time (After mortgaging the kids) I will have to tighten up the cables to take up the slack.
Getting the fuel fillers in was a struggle – space is just so tight on this car, but eventually everything was in and connected up.
A lot of silly bits of damage happened to ROJ during the dismatling process – either through ignorance, clumsiness or – more likely in my case, loss of patience.
Each mistake has cost me time and money – a very harsh master that has made me far more cautious as I go along. Fortunately I have been making lots of new friends who are knowledgeable and willing to help. One of these is Billy – a cheerful Macedonian with an artistry in panel beating second to none.
Up at the front end of ROJ were several small dings in the aluminium – including one nasty knock above the right headlamp. No problem for Billy. Off he went to the barn and came back with a few blocks of wood – an old chair leg included, and proceded to knock my Â£20 odd K car back into shape with an old chair leg…
Â The result….
Friend of ROJ
Remember earlier in the blog I mentioned I had met a chap with a crash damaged V8. Well Billy has been at work on that and this is what it looks like now.
I’m slightly jealous of their progress – but then Arty and Billy have far more resources close to hand than I. And I’ll get there eventually.
8Â am tomorrow I shall be on a plane to Dublin for four days, and if you haven’t already spotted a pattern, I will be meeting up with one or two Irish Aston Owners for some car talk over a pint of the black stuff. I hear it might just be as lethal as Finnish vodka…
Woolies were really helpful whenÂ I complained about the lack of self adhesion on the foam. We worked out a compromise and they sent me an aerosol of adhesive – so I’ll report on that next time.